Australia’s Most Decorated Soldier Arrested for Murdering Unarmed Civilians During Afghanistan Deployment

By
Australia’s most decorated soldier, Ben Roberts-Smith, was arrested and charged with five alleged war-crime murders of unarmed Afghan civilians during SAS deployments in Afghanistan. Ben Roberts-Smith - via 9 News Australia YouTube account

Australia's most decorated soldier, Ben Roberts-Smith, has been arrested and charged with five counts of war-crime murder over the alleged killings of unarmed Afghans during deployments in Afghanistan between 2009 and 2012.

The Australian Federal Police said Roberts-Smith was taken into custody at Sydney Airport and will face court on charges tied to killings that investigators say involved people who were not engaged in hostilities and were under military control at the time.

Police said the victims were unarmed and under Australian military control, while the charges involve five alleged war-crime murders, according to CNN.

The accusations include claims that Roberts-Smith shot dead an unarmed Afghan teenager and that a handcuffed man was forced off a cliff before being ordered killed. Those allegations have been central to the case and to the scrutiny surrounding Roberts-Smith's military record.

The arrest follows years of legal and public examination. In a 2023 defamation case, a federal judge found that claims Roberts-Smith murdered civilians and abused detainees in Afghanistan were substantially true, and that ruling was later upheld on appeal. The criminal investigation grew out of that evidence and the wider findings of the Brereton Report, ABC reported.

The Brereton inquiry, released in 2020, found credible evidence that Australian special forces unlawfully killed Afghan civilians and prisoners, prompting further police action and review by the Office of the Special Investigator. The current case is among the most serious war-crimes prosecutions involving an Australian veteran of the Afghanistan war.

Roberts-Smith has denied wrongdoing and has said he will fight the allegations. His legal team has previously argued that the claims against him were false and relied on disputed witness accounts.

Authorities have said the case remains before the courts, and Roberts-Smith is expected to appear for bail proceedings. If convicted, he could face a life sentence under Commonwealth law, as per NPR.

Tags
Murder, Australia

© 2026 Lawyer Herald All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Join the Discussion
More News
Mackenzie Shirilla

Mackenzie Shirilla Wants Kim Kardashian To Be Her Attorney in Murder and Vehicular Homicide Case

Gabbie Gonzalez

Gabbie Gonzalez Demanded Singer Jack Avery's Finger as Proof of His Death in Murder Plot

Stewart McLean

'Virgin River' Actor Stewart McLean Missing Since May 18, Evidence Points To His Possible Homicide

Charles Berry

Man Arrested for 1986 Rape and Murder Case in Virginia Beach, Police Used Forensic Genealogy To Find Evidence