India sentences five men to death for 2006 Mumbai train blasts

By

A court sentenced five men to death and jailed seven for life on Wednesday for planning bomb blasts that ripped through Mumbai commuter trains in 2006, killing more than 180 people and wounding hundreds.

The specially convened court convicted 12 of 13 accused earlier this month for their role in the events that led to seven bombs exploding on packed trains during the evening rush hour in Mumbai on July 11, 2006.

The bombs targeted an overcrowded suburban network that carries around seven million people a day.

Police say the attack was carried out by disaffected Muslims at the behest of Pakistan-based Islamist militants, and named militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba's Pakistan-based leader, Azeem Cheema, as the prime conspirator.

Tags
Muslims
Join the Discussion
More News
Jail Cell

53-Year-Old Man Gets 126 Years in Prison For Fatally Shooting Ex-Wife and Son, Burning Their Bodies In House Fire

Sarah Ferguson

Sarah Ferguson Said Jeffrey Epstein Should Hire Her as His House Assistant: 'I Am Most Capable and Desperately Need the Money'

Nancy Guthrie

Nancy Guthrie Investigators Lift DNA From Gloves, Says Public Should Expect 'Police Activity' as Case Enters Third Week

Sudan Flag

Sudan War Crimes: RSF Atrocities in el‑Fasher Killed 6,000 in Three Days, UN Says