Former Blackwater guards sentenced to prison in 2007 Baghdad killings

By

A federal judge sentenced four former Blackwater security guards to lengthy prison terms on Monday in the 2007 massacre of 14 unarmed Iraqis, closing a chapter of the U.S. war in Iraq that tested relations between the two countries.

Nicholas Slatten was sentenced to life in prison for his murder conviction in the killings at a Baghdad traffic circle.

U.S. District Court Judge Royce Lamberth sentenced three other former Blackwater guards, convicted of manslaughter in the killings, to 30 years each.

The four guards opened fire with machine guns and grenade launchers on the unarmed Iraqi civilians, including women and children, at Nisur Square on Sept. 16, 2007. A heavily armed, four-truck Blackwater Worldwide convoy had been trying to clear a path for U.S. diplomats.

In addition to the killings, at least 17 Iraqis were injured.

Slatten was convicted in October, along with ex-guards Paul Slough, Evan Liberty and Dustin Heard.

North Carolina-based Blackwater was sold and renamed several times. It is now called Academi, based in northern Virginia.

Tags
Manslaughter
Join the Discussion
More News
Jail Cell

53-Year-Old Man Gets 126 Years in Prison For Fatally Shooting Ex-Wife and Son, Burning Their Bodies In House Fire

Sarah Ferguson

Sarah Ferguson Said Jeffrey Epstein Should Hire Her as His House Assistant: 'I Am Most Capable and Desperately Need the Money'

Nancy Guthrie

Nancy Guthrie Investigators Lift DNA From Gloves, Says Public Should Expect 'Police Activity' as Case Enters Third Week

Sudan Flag

Sudan War Crimes: RSF Atrocities in el‑Fasher Killed 6,000 in Three Days, UN Says