Over 100 arrested in New Orleans drugs sweep

By

Federal prosecutors in New Orleans announced on Friday the arrest of over 100 suspects and the seizure of guns, drugs, cars and money in the culmination of a six-month undercover operation in New Orleans.

The operation, dubbed "Wild Wild East," began in July 2014 as a response to an increase in shootings and killings in the eastern part of the city, New Orleans-based U.S. Attorney Kenneth Polite said.

"This is the way law enforcement will do business in this region," Polite said in a statement. "Together, we are focusing on identifying, investigating, engaging, and ultimately removing perpetrators of violence from our streets."

Some 111 arrests, along with the seizure of 32 guns, nine vehicles, about $1 million in cash and an unspecified quantity of crack cocaine and heroin were made on Thursday, he said.

The operation was led by the federal Drug Enforcement Administration and included the New Orleans Police Department, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and other agencies, he said.

Of those arrested, 65 had previously been arrested on felony charges, he said.

Tags
New Orleans, Cocaine, Heroin
Join the Discussion
More News
Judge Gavel

Police Solves Cold Case Using DNA From Cigarette To Find Man Involved in 1982 Rape and Murder Case of 13-Year-Old Girl

Exonerate

DNA Evidence Exonerates 4 Men Arrested for Infamous 1991 Yogurt Shop Murder: 'Their Entire Youth Was Taken Away From Them'

Former Prince Andrew

Police Arrests Former Prince Andrew on Suspicion of Misconduct After Leaks of Communication With Late Sex Offender Jeffrey Epstein

Mountaineer Couple

39-Year-Old Mountaineer Receives Suspended Five-Month Prison Sentence After Leaving Girlfriend To Freeze to Death on Austria's Highest Peak