Donald Trump Loses Appeal To Restore Travel Ban
Feb 06, 2017 11:01 AM EST
The hits just keep coming for United States President Donald Trump. The latest one is sure to get Trump all fired up once again against his critics.
On early Sunday morning, a federal appeals court rejected the U.S. Justice Departments' emergency request to immediately restore Donald Trump's travel ban, according to report from CNN. After a federal judge stopped the program last Friday, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco has asked both sides to file their respective legal briefs before a final decision is handed down by the court. A reply from the Trump administration is now due on Monday.
As a result from the ruling, this meant that travelers from the seven predominantly Muslim nations that were included in the travel ban as well as refugees from all nations, for now, could continue to enter the country. The seven countries that are in the list are Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. People from those seven countries had been banned from the entering the U.S. by an executive order signed by Donald Trump last Jan. 27, via a report from The Guardian.
U.S. District Court Judge James Robart suspended the travel ban ordered by Donald Trump last Friday. The U.S. Justice Department then filed an appeal to the ruling just after midnight Sunday. The Justice Department said that President Donald Trump had the constitutional authority to order the ban and the court ruling second-guessed Trump's national security judgment.
Donald Trump arrived at a Red Cross gala at Mar-a-Lago, his waterfront Florida resort, on Saturday night. The weekend getaway was Trump's first since he was elected president.
During the Red Cross gala, reporters asked Donald Trump regarding his government's appeal on the suspension of the travel ban. Trump said that he was confident that they would win the appeal.
"We'll win," Donald Trump replied. "For the safety of the country, we'll win."