Caffeine Overdose Sends UK Students To Hospital
Jan 27, 2017 02:24 AM EST
Caffeine overdose is a very real life-threatening problem, one that a couple of students had to learn the hard way.
A pair of university students from the UK were hospitalized after consuming dubious amounts of caffeine. According to a report by AP, both students took an amount that's enough to make 300 cups of coffee.
The whopping amount of caffeine intake sent Alex Rossetto and Luke Parkin to the hospital due to "life-threatening reactions." The students were taking part in an experiment that aims to measure the impact of caffeine during exercise.
The source mentioned that the problem occurred when powder was used instead of caffeine tablets. There was apparently a mistake in measuring and converting the proper dosage.
Both survived the serious health risk
Although some cases of caffeine overdose can be fatal, both Rossetto and Parkin survived the ordeal. Fortunately, both students can end the failed experiment with their lives intact.
However, they literally lost a part of themselves since both students lost about 20 pounds after recovering. Regardless, it's still a small price to pay for a valuable life lesson.
Another case of caffeine overdose makes its way on the roads
Meanwhile, another case of caffeine overdose brought one driver in some serious trouble with the law. A report from iTechpost gave insight on how Joseph Schwab was charged with DUI due to having too much caffeine.
California police had to pull Schwab over due to erratic and reckless driving. While his illegal drug test came out clean, Schwab was still charged with DUI.
The charges were eventually dropped since there weren't any regulations stating that caffeine is an illegal substance. While the driver certainly avoided jail-time, the case doesn't change the fact that caffeine overdose not only affects the user, it also puts others at risk as well.