Google Nexus 4 Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Update via OrionOS ROM: Installation Guide
Mar 01, 2016 11:32 PM EST
OrionOS is the latest custom ROM to support Google Nexus 4. The ROM promises to provide useful features aimed at productivity.
Because it being an old device, Google Nexus 4 was disqualified from the official Android 6.0 Marshmallow update. However, lucky enough that that device can still jump into the Marshmallow bandwagon as OrionOS ROM can now support the device.
Primarily aimed at providing productivity features, OrionOS also will also offer Master Heads-up and an expanded desktop screen to work at. It is also known to improve system performance and stability.
Complete set of OrionOS features include the following:
- Status bar icons
- Movable quick settings
- Clock settings
- Battery styles
- Battery bar
- Dark music theme switch (many improvements on various preinstalled apps)
- Layers Manager
- Uber 5.3
- Messenger instead of MMS (with Night Mode)
- Updategallery(design tweaks)
- OTA (in device info)
- SuperSu in settings
- CM Browser
- Viper4Android 126.96.36.199
- Dashboard columns
- Ime selector notification
- USB debug notify toggle
- DayNight theme
- Google Keyboard by default
- Network traffic
- Double tap on status bar to sleep
- Carrier Label
- Custom Headers - Normal, Modern, PolyHD
- Weather in status bar
- Slim Recents
- Clear all recent FAB with 6positions
- RAM memory bar in recents
- Full screen recents
- Show search bar in recents
- Show running apps only
- Home, Menu, Recentsbuttonrebinding
- Volume key cursor control
- Volume key playback control
- Power Off, Reboot, Screenshot, Airplane Mode, User Switcher, Sound Panel, Bug Report
- Lock screen wallpaper
- Show/Hide Lock screen Clock and date
- Navigation bar customizations
- Custom LCD Density
- Advanced Reboot
- Double tap to sleep on lock screen
- Quick unlock
- Pin scramble
- Screen pinning
- New music Icon and logo
- New music boot animation
Take note of the following reminders and prerequisites before proceeding with the installation:
1. Do not use the ROM to any other device.
2. Install TWRP Recovery here.
3. Back up all necessary data here.
4. Download a driver here.
5. Installing any custom ROM induces risk of damaging device. Neither this site nor developers of the OrionOS will be held responsible for such damage.
Here is a step-by-step guide to install Android 6.0.1 OrionOS to Google Nexus 4:
2. Connect phone to PC using the USB cable.
3. Copy downloaded zip files from PC then paste to phone's memory or SD card.
4. Switch off device and plug it out from the PC.
5. Go to Bootloader Mode by press holding volume up and down and power buttons together.
6. Select 'Bootloader' then go to Recovery.
7. Choose 'Wipe' to delete of data and 'Wipe Cache Partition'.
8. Go to main menu and choose 'Install zip from SD card.'
9. Select 'Choose zip from SD card.'
10. Repeat process for GApps.
11. Wait for the installation to complete.
12. When phone gets into any boot loops or other troubles, tap 'Wipe cache/dalvik' button.
13. Choose 'Reboot System'.
Check the software version now.