Trayvon Martin Case Update: George Zimmerman's Attorneys Want to Delay Trial
Jan 31, 2013 12:00 PM EST
(Photo : Reuters)
Attorneys for George Zimmerman, the former neighborhood watch volunteer charged with shooting 17-year-old Trayvon Martin to death, is asking for more time to prepare for the case.
Zimmerman's defense attorney, Mark O'Mara, has also renewed his request for donation to his legal defense, costing upward to $1 million.
"The state has virtually unlimited resources to prosecute George," his defense fund's website reads: "To finance his defense, however George relies on the generosity of individuals who believe he is innocent."
Shawn Vincent, Zimmerman's spokesman, said that he hopes the second-degree murder trial will be moved from June to November where the neighborhood watchman has plead not guilty. The hearing, which is scheduled for April, will argue he was acting in self-defense.
O'Mara has also released what the defense said is a new picture of Martin. O'Mara told Orlando's Local 6 station that Martin's father, Tracy Martin, provided what the defense team said is a much more accurate picture of his son to Sanford Police Department on Feb. 27, 2012, the day after the shooting.
The Orlando Sentinel reports O'Mara said prosecutors had been slow to turn over evidence. He said someone from the State Attorney's Office had removed Martin's cell phone from an evidence locker to have it sent to California for analysis, but the state has refused to give him any information about the agency and the type of tests being run on the phone.
Prosecutors say Zimmerman profiled, pursued and killed Martin on the night of Feb. 26.